Located in downtown Vancouver, Coal Harbour is the area of Burrard Inlet bounded to the southeast by Burrard Street, to the southwest by West Georgia and Pender Streets, and to the northwest by Stanley Park.
Best known for its upscale high-rise condos built in the 1990’s on reclaimed land, Vancouver’s Coal Harbour features many park areas, fine-dining restaurants, boutique shops, and marinas.
The area has a rich industrial history. Over the years there have been seaplane manufactures, ship work yards, rail and ship stations, and even a lumber mill. The area has also been home to yacht and rowing clubs.
The area received its name from when coal was first discovered in the area in 1862. The coal was low-grade and was not mined because of the amount of clay in laid in.
The area was first settled by the Sḵwxwú7mesh aboriginal people.