Exercise accounts for 20% of weight loss. The remaining 80% is directly tied to diet; what you are putting into you mouth and how you feed your body, and when.
Here is a suggestion of a daily meal plan to cut calories and weight loss.
- When you wake up in the morning, drink a full glass of water. It will awaken your body and start your metabolism.
- Start with a light snack such as some fruit, plain yogurt and granola within the first half-hour of getting up. Yogurt will help maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Have another light snack a few hours into your day. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter is a great choice. Carbs should be eaten in the morning because they will burn throughout the day and the protein from the peanut butter will give long-burning energy to keep you going. Skim milk is a great drink option.
- For lunch a variety of fresh vegetables including carrots, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and snap peas will add valuable fibre and nutrients. Skip the ranch dip and choose a healthier alternative like hummus. Wash it down with a glass of water or hot or cold green tea.
- In the mid-afternoon 20 almonds with a cup of strawberries will keep your energy up as you push through those long meetings.
- For dinner, a grilled chicken breast over one cup of steamed rice, along with a garden salad with fat-free Italian dressing is a great option. Remember to watch the portion size. Too many people have dinner meals that are equivalent to 1.5 or 2 meals!
- Beware of late-night snacking. If you are hungry after dinner, choose a healthy alterative like fresh or freshly frozen blueberries – they are an excellent anti-oxidant.
This plan won’t work for everyone, and should be used as guidance only. Consult a certified nutritionist to set a meal plan that fits your specific dietary needs. Stay away from fad diets and make a positive choice to lead a healthy life through both healthy eating and exercise.