The agricultural city of Armstrong, British Columbia is located at the north end of the Okanagan Valley and the southern tip of the Shuswap region.
Surrounded by the Spallmucheen, which means “beautiful valley” in the local Shuswap First Nations language, Armstrong’s commercial centre is home to 4,500 residents. The community was named after E. C. Heaton Armstrong, a baker from London, England, who helped develop the community and fund the Shuswap and Okanagan Railway in 1892.
Throughout the community there are many historic buildings and landmarks including Armstrong Elementary School, built in 1921. The school remains today in full operation after extensive upgrades throughout the mid 1990’s.
The Armstrong name is well-known across Canada and the United States because of its award-winning cheese. Armstrong Cheese was originally founded in Armstrong, however after 100 years of operation, the plant was closed in 2004 after being purchased by Saputo Inc. Armstrong’s history of cheese making continues through a new venture, the Village Cheese Company.