As announced last week, every week for the next 10 weeks I’ll be sharing with you simple ways you can change and improve your diet to lead a healthier lifestyle. The tips and information from this series comes from Choices Markets Dietician, Desiree Nielsen.
Remember that old adage, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”? Now we have research to prove it: research presented by Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz and her team in 2008 showed that eating a large 600 calorie breakfast every morning helped dieters lose more weight than the typical light diet fare. The ideal breakfast should contain a balance of protein, fibre and slowly digested carbohydrates to keep you going all morning long. What makes this breakfast so special? A hefty dose of protein, combined with quality carbohydrates, helps to control blood sugar rise so you feel energized instead of sluggish. While more research is needed to confirm the findings, big breakfast eaters in the study reported feeling less hunger and fewer cravings throughout the day even when on a low calorie eating plan overall.
5 Easy, Filling Breakfasts to Fuel your Day
1. Power Smoothie: blend 1 cup skim milk or soy milk, ¾ cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana and 1 scoop of Berry Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer
2. Perfect Oatmeal: Cook up steel cut oats according to package directions (make oatmeal the night before to streamline your mornings all week) and serve yourself one portion, topped with 1 cup of chopped fresh or thawed fruit, 2 tbsp of hemp seeds and 1 cup of skim milk.
3. Hearty Breakfast Bowl: place ¾ cup Liberte Greek Yogurt (high protein) in a bowl and top with 1 cup thawed blueberries, 1/3 cup All Bran Buds, ¼ cup of raw almonds and ¼ cup of your favourite granola
4. Egg Sandwich: Cook one or two omega 3 eggs to desired doneness with ½ tsp olive oil and serve between 2 slices of toasted sprouted grain bread with 1 tbsp salsa and a slice of light cheddar cheese or ¼ cup of soft goat cheese.
5. PB&J: Toast two slices of sprouted grain bread and top with 1½ tbsp raw almond butter, ½ tbsp of all fruit preserve and 1 small sliced banana.