In 1846, just as Dallas was finding its roots as a small village, it became a popular stopping point for many Methodists along their circuit rides. It took over 20 years, but after land was donated money was raised, and plans began to build the First United Methodist Church.
Unfortunately the American Civil War delayed the construction, and by the time the war was over, all the money to build the church was gone. However, the members of the church were determined, and in November 1868, Lamar Street, in downtown Dallas, become the home of the Methodist Church.
In 1879 a fire broke out in the church and it was destroyed. It took another 10 years to finance and build a replacement, which was dedicated five years later, in 1894.
Throughout the early 20th century the congregation continued with strong growth, with over 3,440 members after the First Methodist and Trinity Methodist churches combined in 1926. In 1927, a new church was dedicated.
The current church, the First United Methodist Church, has played an instrumental role in the formation of other Methodist churches in northern Texas, and continues with their active in mission work, service, and worship, while honouring the traditions of the founders.
The church is open to the public on a limited basis. The sanctuary has beautiful wood pews, brass railings, a large pipe organ, and vaulted ceilings. The Church is available for weddings – perhaps even gay marriage when the United States and/or the State of Texas finally legalizes same-sex marriage!