It’s the time of year that you’ll find yourself wanting to spend a few extra minutes in bed in the morning, cozy underneath the warm duvet, or putting on a comfy sweater to wear to work just to keep warm. Don’t say bye-bye to your summer beach body and all the work you’ve put into toning up and working out! Fall is a great time to get out and run! Why? The cooler air means you won’t be as hot when you run and you don’t have to layer up as much as you do in the winter. Here are 5 awesome fall running tips:
- Layering. Layering is a great way to get outside, even on cooler mornings or evenings. You can start bundled up and as you body warms up, within just a few minutes, you can always shed a layer. It’s ok to wear a long-sleeve shirt out of the house and then take it off and wrap it around your waist.
- New Music. There’s lots of great music coming out on the top 40 all the time. Load up your iPod and run to the beat. You’ll be amazed at how you get lost in listening to music that the time will pass quickly.
- Hydrate. While the weather might be cooler out it’s important to remember to constantly hydrate. The human body will sweat when exercising, even when it’s cold out. If you need some extra motivation, buying a new water bottle is always helpful!
- Rock the Socks! You don’t have to bundle up completely. Instead of dragging out the heavy winter tights, go for a pair of knee-length running socks. They will keep your calves warm. Also try other accessories like a headband and running gloves to stay warm and dry.
- Warm Up. Don’t just get outside and go for a sprint. Warm up your muscles and let them adjust to the cooler weather. Start with a light jog and move up to a run pace. It’s better than risking getting an injury.